Now that the New Year is here, many of you may have made a pact to make physical activity a priority. Don’t forget, though, that nutrition affects at least 80% of your results in the gym!
When it comes to fueling properly for a workout, timing and food choices matter! Eating the right foods before and after a workout will maximize your results. Here are a few simple suggestions for nutritious foods to consider before you hit the gym!
Tips for Pre Workout Success:
- If your workout is less than an hour away, stick with simple carbohydrates like fruits, pretzels, or a piece of toast with a little nut butter to give your body energy it can use right away.
- Exercising later in the day? No problem. The meals and snacks you had previously will help fuel your workout. Make sure lunch has at least one fist-size amount of carbohydrates. For example, include a half cup of quinoa with a salad and some beans.
- Plan your afternoon snack accordingly: If you have a couple of hours until you workout, throw together a protein-carbohydrate combo for a filling snack that will provide lasting energy! Try an apple and a small handful of almonds or an English muffin with hummus.
- Drink up! Don’t wait to hydrate until you’re at the gym. Bring a water bottle to work as a reminder to drink more throughout the day.
Other Pre Workout Snack Ideas:
- Fruit and yogurt smoothies.
- Low sugar granola bars
- Pretzels and hummus
- Hard boiled eggs and rice cakes